View Single Post
Old July 30, 2019, 09:28 PM   #11
zukiphile

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahermit
Being retired and not having much to do (except cast bullets for the Summer shooting season), in the Winter time here in Michigan, I am toying with the idea of assembling a AR15 .223 Carbine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahermit
I was thinking more along the lines of assembling a complete upper and a complete lower and adding a carbine butt stock and carry handle (with rear sight).
Emphasis added.

I have built inexpensive ARs, and I've yet to encounter a problem that made the item unreliable. I've used parts from Palmetto State, and have found Anderson upper and lower receivers great to work with. I have below average mechanical aptitude and have found none of the assembly process overwhelming, except for one step. I have never attempted to drill and pin a front sight and barrel. It looks to require precision and the right tools, and appears to result in ruined parts of done wrong, so I haven't even tried. I have fixed sight rifles, but I bought complete uppers for those.

To be happy with whatever you put together, you want an idea of what you want in general terms before you shop for it. I agree with FrankenMauser and other that the barrel and trigger are the wrong parts for making the lowest price the priority. I have a 20 inch 1;12 pencil barrel from Green Mountain that was $170 and a Rock River two stage trigger (Neither the best nor the cheapest) that sit in an Anderson upper receiver with an Ebay carbon fiber free float tube and a New Frontier polymer lower (cheap stuff). It's a great rifle. I've a Dez Arms barrel and Armalite National Match trigger sitting in a rifle otherwise composed of cheap parts.

When I wanted an upper with fixed sights, I ordered it built from Palmetto State. I don't think I could have built it for less. Build your own lower though. It's easy enough, and you'll have the confidence of knowing exactly how it all works.

Page generated in 0.02372 seconds with 8 queries