View Single Post
Old November 20, 2017, 12:24 PM   #23
carguychris

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleA
Question: If you are denied by the NICS will the NICS folk tell you which jurisdiction has a beef with you?

Question: If you are denied by the NICS and the problem is totally with the NICS (e.g. "John Smith" gets denied but his SSN is different than the "John Smith" the NICS folk have on their prohibited list) can/will the NICS folk fix the problem without you having to get evidence that you have not been convicted of anything?
I am not an FFL dealer, but my understanding from past threads with FFLs is that the operator who answers the NICS phone call can ONLY give the FFL one of three answers: "Approved," "Denied," or "Delayed." The NICS operator supposedly cannot see any other information on their computer.

If the answer is "Denied," or if the purchase is subsequently denied after being delayed, the buyer can then appeal the denial through the FBI. It's my understanding that the reasons for the denial are sometimes divulged during the appeal process, but not always; in some cases, the answer basically amounts to "Oops, we dunno what happened."

The bill contains a provision giving the AG 60 days to remove erroneous information that led to an incorrect NICS denial.

Last edited by carguychris; November 20, 2017 at 12:29 PM. Reason: reword

Page generated in 0.03595 seconds with 8 queries