View Single Post
Old September 22, 2000, 09:23 PM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

No reference to "1785 Stagecoach Blunderburst Flintlock shotgun" in my library. I think the auction house meant, "Blunderbuss, 1785." Regarding the term "stagecoach", I'm unsure whether the English ever used this term. "Coach" may be more appropriate.

We're going to need more information to help. Any other markings on the barrel, lock or stock? If you can describe the lock (lockplate shape, hammer style), side plate (shape), barrel (length, shape), trigger guard (style), it may help. Posting a picture or a link to a photo would help.

Here's some information I dug up on the Blunderbuss: In the British military, Blunderbusses were issued to the Navy (deck fighting for boarding parties or to defend from boarding parties) or for guard duty. It also saw use for crowd control (obvious reason), signaling or close quarter situations. In the later years (1846), they were also found useful in custodial (prison) settings. In the Austrian Army of 1781, it was issued to the front rank of Cuirassiers.

BTW, I'm skeptical of the $20k reserved price. It seems awfully steep, but I'm no expert on prices. If you don't have a Rifle Shoppe or Track of the Wolf catalog for parts comparison, suggest you grab a copy of George Neumann's, "Battle Weapons of the American Revolution" at your library.

[This message has been edited by 4V50 Gary (edited September 22, 2000).]

Page generated in 0.03258 seconds with 8 queries