View Single Post
Old December 24, 2009, 09:35 AM   #17
Dwight55

My first handgun was a 1911, . . . purchased in Saigon in 1966, . . . worked for me.

I chose the centerfire semi, . . . because:

1) it really did work for me, . . . even as a new shooter with it, . . . it only took a little while and I was fairly proficient with it (could have had something to do with the environment at the time )

2) with the cost factor vs. disposable income a lot of folks have to contend with, . . . it could be a while after the .22 purchase that they could then afford a real HD weapon, . . . suggest going for the HD weapon first if finances are a problem and there is a perceived "today" need for HD weapon

3) it will also get them over the "won't the recoil bash in my skull and rip off my arm when I shoot it?" syndrome that so many non-shooters have picked up from too many movies.

4) anticipating flames from the revolver community, . . . I'll just go ahead and say it, . . . "If you are a new shooter, . . . forget the old West, . . . forget Sgt. Callahan, . . . get a modern, up to date, efficient firearm. Oh, and if it has a rotating cylinder, . . . that is not one of them. Get one that feeds like Mr. Spock, . . . it just gets beamed up into the chamber from the magazine " There is not one production revolver that is as overall safe as a standard 1911.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!

Page generated in 0.02433 seconds with 8 queries