View Single Post
Old August 9, 2010, 12:02 AM   #13
a1abdj

I'm curious as to who made your drop safe. Even the less expensive drop safes usually have relocking devices that would prevent a lock punch attack from opening the safe.

With that said, I've seen some poorly designed safes. A local restaurant had a safe with a dead bar on the hinge side, and live bolts on the opening side. Usually, this prevents the door from being removed if the hinges are cut. In this case, the burglars did cut the hinges, and were able to slide the door towards the hinge side, allowing the bolts from the opening side to clear the door frame.

All safes will buy time. A better built safe will buy more time. Time = cost, although it's usually not as bad as you might expect. I've been selling small/medium used TL-15 plate safes in the $1,500 range. These safes have 1" plate bodies and 1.5" plate doors. I don't care how much time somebody has with hammers, prybars, and axes.....they aren't getting in. Power tools are another story, but you still have to know what you're doing with them.

You probably don't want to say on the open forum, but it really comes down to your specific use of the safe. Safes are tools, and there is a right tool for the job. Using the wrong tool is a disaster waiting to happen.

Page generated in 0.03249 seconds with 8 queries