View Single Post
Old April 12, 2013, 06:35 AM   #22
rodfac

Mississippi, What kind of accuracy are you getting with those Montana Gold bullets? I realize that's a function of both the gun and the shooter as well, but the question is: are they good enough for competition/hunting or just for SD drills from the 3,5, and 7 yd lines?

I've had good luck in the past with Winchester bulk 115 gr JHP's from Midway....currently a little over $13 per hundred plus shipping and tax. (The last box I bought, 3660 of them in a single heavy box) went just over a nickle a piece! From two of my 9mm's (an accurized Colt 1911 Series 70 in 9mm and a newly acquired Sig 226 Mk25), a fairly warm load of Win 231 or HP38 gives me right at inch and a quarter gps at 25 yds from a two handed rest position.

Expansion with that Winchester bullet wasn't spectacular...at least in the water medium I tried, but far better, obviously than a FMJ...and they were really accurate. Velocity had to exceed 1100 to keep the mushroom growing. No mean trick with any suitable powder, but I like moderate loads in all my guns, save for the real McCoy SD rounds.

Seems like Montana has great prices, but how's the real world accuracy off a rest?

Best Regards, Rod PS: I've enjoyed your posts here and elsewhere..very knowledgeable and well written. R
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.

Page generated in 0.03632 seconds with 8 queries