Thread: How to Quote?
View Single Post
Old April 16, 2012, 06:30 PM   #6
RampantAndroid

I hate to necro a thread, but cannot reply to the sticky:

What is the reasoning behind not adding a quote button on each post, or a multiquote system?

If I can illustrate why I want this, it is the difference between this:
Quote:
OK, I hope this is the right place to post this... And my apologies if this is just too simple(!) I'm a fairly experienced forum user, but this is bugging me.

How the heck do I quote from a post? I've searched the forum, read the FAQ, and found references to a "Quick Reply button" -- but where do I find that? Thread replies that have no context, no apparent link to another post aren't much use to me, so I usually will include in my message at least a minimal quote from the message I'm replying to.
and this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPBart View Post
OK, I hope this is the right place to post this... And my apologies if this is just too simple(!) I'm a fairly experienced forum user, but this is bugging me.

How the heck do I quote from a post? I've searched the forum, read the FAQ, and found references to a "Quick Reply button" -- but where do I find that? Thread replies that have no context, no apparent link to another post aren't much use to me, so I usually will include in my message at least a minimal quote from the message I'm replying to.
Notice in my second quote, you can click the button next to the name PPBart and go to his post. To me, this is VERY valuable. Sometimes I jump into a thread on page 5, see a quote and want to trace it backwards. It allows me to gain context, without spending half an hour reading 5 pages of posts. It also allows you to quote a post that is not in the current thread, while allowing people to gain context by clicking to see the original post & thread.

For this second quote, I had to hand create the BBCode - there is no way that it can be done automatically using the WYSIWYG editor on these forums.

Page generated in 0.03587 seconds with 8 queries