View Single Post
Old October 8, 2011, 04:38 PM   #5
Chaz88

I looked for the same information in Navy regs at one time and also never found an answer. I do not "think" it would be specifically against any regulation if done off base in a uniform that is authorized for off base use and it did not detract from a professional appearance (no printing etc)

The problem would arise if an incident occurred. Anytime something happens off base with a uniformed, or even out of uniform, Sailor it is blown way out of proportion by the local media. Then the Navy might use the catch 22 parts of the UCMJ to overreact for PR reasons. (read the UCMJ carefully, it is set up with provisions that allow them to make up things to charge you with that they did not think of at the time it was written)

At one time my duties required me to go to the homes of people that worked for me and check on domestic situations. A few of those times I regarded the potential threat as great enough that it was worth the risk of potentially breaking some obscure regulation, and I carried. Those were the only times I carried my personal weapon in uniform, just did not think it was worth the potential problems the rest of the time.

By the way I retired in 2008 so there could be new regulations in place.

No spelun and grammar is not my specialty. So please don't hurt my sensitive little feelings by teasing me about it.

Last edited by Chaz88; October 8, 2011 at 11:08 PM.

Page generated in 0.04164 seconds with 8 queries