View Single Post
Old December 28, 2018, 12:45 PM   #6
reinert

Hey Nathan, just an old guy's thoughts here on clothing:

Clothing selection for hunting purposes has so many facets, beside the fact as to where you live and hunt. Warm weather, cold weather, in between weather; example: you find yourself experiencing a 40 degree change of temp. in the course of a day. That type of temp. change can happen very easily on a mountain, or even in the plains where I live in Wyoming, and that's not uncommon at all. So, look to the National Weather Service report for the area you plan to hunt, and make the clothing call... and wait for that buck or bull, or go stalk him. Waiting, and stalking, two different methods, for two different types of clothing needs.

Your years of hunting experience will have you acquiring (sometimes) a single clothing piece at a time (IMO; anyway, that's how it's worked out for me) as YOUR own personal need requires. The more you go, the more you'll know...for you. How cold was it this morning? Geeze, but it got warm this afternoon... A GOOD, well thought out daypack for YOUR needs, is a very essential requirement, too (IMO), with lots of cordage inside (and partly for tying extra clothing to your pack as a certain day in the field presents itself).

So, what I've found that personally works for me, generally, is a base of Merino wool blended with a GOOD wicking acrylic of some sort, and a polar-tech fleece vest that zips to a turtle neck WITH the material under the zipper in the neck area to block the wind. I'm relating here as to how I hunt, generally in the late fall, and that's spot and stalk, and on the move mostly. I have to have clothing that will dry quickly, wicking perspiration away from the body quickly.

I have an old, light weight insulated wool shirt my folks gave me for Christmas at least 30 years ago that I still use every year elk hunting (the ONLY time it gets used at all, so it's still in fairly good shape and fits me perfectly with my under garments). With the Merino wool underwear and the fleece vest mentioned, that combination of clothing still works great as to how I hunt on the mountain. I also have a super lightweight, insulated jacket in a waterproof cover lashed to my daypack, if I need an extra garment in a bad change of weather while hunting (it fits loosely completely over my "wool shirt" system). Since I've been hunting for quite a number of years now, I can pretty much say I have what I need for any hunting situation I need clothing for. I've rifle hunted many times in 10+ degrees below zero weather, and bow hunted in 70 degree weather in the early seasons. I have what I need for either weather experience, acquired through lots of hunting seasons past, and most always, a piece of needful (maybe) clothing at a time.

What sort of prompted me here to your clothing question OP, was the raingear concern you had, along with mountain hunting you're thinking about in Montana. I had that concern once, too (the raincoat deal). I found a really nice (one piece at a time) waterproof, "breathable," extremely quiet outer shell, that fit perfectly over my old, insulated wool shirt system. Well, here's what I found regarding that particular garment (supposedly a Gore-Tex type material):

While hunting the Black Hills for elk a number of years ago, the weather was around 15 degrees, and snowing with a couple of inches of snow on the ground. My brother dropped me off to do a full day's still hunt back to his home. I thought it would be the perfect day to use that "breathable" outer shell. About mid-way through the day, I started to get cold and couldn't figure out why. I was moving, so, like most anytime else, I shouldn't be cold; shrugged (shivered) it off. I finally made it back to my bros place, shivering like crazy. Once indoors, I took off that outer shell, and found it was quite wet inside. My wool clothes had been wicking just fine, but the outer shell wouldn't let enough moisture out while I was walking, and I was losing body heat, warming up my own rainwater... I learned a pretty good lesson right there; that "breathable" outer garment didn't breath enough for my personal activity. Had I spent anymore time on that particular hunting day, I might have had a good recipe for hypothermia going on, and didn't even know it. They say, that's kind of how that works. Because I was walking continually on that hunt, I figured I shouldn't be cold, but I was, and maybe should've stopped to maybe build a fire (at least should've considered a gear check). Nope, just kept walking "to the house." Didn't see an elk that day, either.

Now sitting in a tree, or in a ground blind, while it was cold and snowing on that particular hunting day, that garment probably would've been great (along with insulated bibs and another upper garment, too, no doubt). I just made a bad clothing call, but learned a great lesson while choosing the proper clothing for a certain type of hunting method. As far as waterproof gear I use? I have a lightweight, waterproof, army style rain poncho in my daypack (in there all the time) to keep me dry, when I REALLY need to keep dry. The open sides of the poncho provide enough ventilation to let my clothing wick and get rid of the moisture as I'm moving. Yeah, it ain't worth a hoot bowhunting, but it's fine for rifle hunting (side snaps there too, if needed). When I have to break the poncho out, I've usually got the firm notion to get back to the vehicle, or camp, anyway... Hunting clothing, and most any type of gear you'll need in the course of your own accumulated years of experience in the field, will most likely be "one piece at a time." Kind of like Johnny Cash's song...only it'll cost you more than a dime, generally.

All this is just stuff I've found that works very well for me, and your hunting needs' mileage will no doubt vary. And likely one piece at a time, will mean way more than just the lyrics to an old tune. Also, I made it through another hunting season safe and sound and ready for next year, all things permitting. Got all the clothes I need, still, too! Ha!

Happy New Year, Nathan! And, good hunting! For game, and for the clothes!

reinert

BTW, the gaiters I use have the "real deal" Gore-Tex material in them. I use them all the time, in any activity, when out in wet weather; fine things, indeed.

Page generated in 0.02978 seconds with 8 queries