View Single Post
Old July 7, 2013, 09:12 AM   #45
Peter M. Eick

Question to me from Win73 (rhymes nicely...)

I had my Python long before I had my first S&W. I did not know any better that it should not be shot with heavy loads so ignorance is bliss and I loaded it and worked up loads from the manuals and banged away. I did get a trigger job done on it by Teddy Jacobson here in Houston but beyond that it has never had an issue. My second Python is another shooter. It on the other hand was shot a lot with 38's prior to me getting it and the cylinder needed some internal cleaning. After that we have another shooter.

I actually prefer the Python as a shooter. I learned to shoot revolves on a Diamondback so the Colt style "stacking" is normal to me and I learned to shoot with it. I plan on that steady build when doing double action shooting and in single action It is just easy to shoot well as is.

Comparing my Python to my Registered Magnum is interesting. They are two different beasts. The RM has a long throw style hammer so it does not reward poor follow though or shooting techniques. It is a bit less well balanced so the front sight is a bit more whippy. The grips are not as easy to shoot well with Magna's over Pachmeyer's on the Python. I used to shoot really hot loads in my RM, basically loads that would give me 1500 fps with a 158 out of my 8 3/8" pre-27's. I figured that is what the gun was designed for so I shoot them in it. They are accurate and easy to shoot but today I have moderated to book max loads. There is no practical reason to beat up my RM anymore. So when I am really in the groove I can shoot the RM a bit more accurately than the Python but if you are bit off (coffee, tired, shaky) than the Python is much easier to perform with.

This all changes when you move the 38/44 which is the bulk of my N frames. There I have shooters that easily compare to the Python in accuracy and quality/ease of shooting.

Final comment. Yesterday I was out with my 357 Redhawk and a big 38/44 Outdoorsman. The Redhawk makes the 38/44 seem almost dainty by comparison. Glad I did not bring the Python. It would have felt svelte!

Page generated in 0.03606 seconds with 8 queries