View Single Post
Old July 23, 2012, 06:13 PM   #22
Terry A

Quote:
July 16, 2012, 11:38 PM #9
raimius

Posts: 1,005 It depends on if you both follow the Four Rules without even thinking about them. If not, I'd recommend against it.

Learning to shoot is great fun, as is shooting with friends, but the risks associated with new shooters are increased exponentially when both the Safety Officer AND shooter are new.

If you do go together, I HIGHLY recommend only doing basic marksmanship fundamentals at a well-defined range. Don't get fancy and start doing speed reloads, malfunction drills, movement, multiple targets, etc. The more you are tempted to show off or practice the upper end of your skills, the more likely mistakes are to occur.

"Advanced" shooting is applying the basics at a higher level. Make sure your fundamentals (including safety) are rock solid, first.
This was a good post.
I'd only add "leave your ego at home." You're not going to be a Jerry Michalak or Bob Munden, or even a cowboy shooting backwards 50 yards away while galloping on his horse in a B grade western.

PS- A little off topic, but start off with loads or calibers that won't give you a case of the flinches.
2 Thes 3:16 "Now may the Lord of peace Himself continually grant you peace in every circumstance. The Lord be with you all! "

Page generated in 0.02980 seconds with 8 queries