View Single Post
Old March 28, 2011, 10:19 PM   #14
IGO1320

load tried

I loaded 200gr Hornaday JHP, 28gr of 296, Winchester magnum primer, and used 1.610 OAL (bullet crimped at the just a few thousands below the very top of cant.)

This was stuff I had laying around and the accuracy was a little better than my friends loads but still not quite as good as the factory load tested so far ( yes I checked back to back to back to back. Results were very consistant. Cases looked good with no signs of deformation, splitting, or primer movement. Load shot high of stock loads so velocity is down some, of course the bullet is heavier. I could try increasing the powder and maybe tightening up the crimp a little more? What have some of you who use the 296 use for powder and crimp type?

If I can't work this out to my satisfaction I guess I will pick another powder to try. I want to stay with the jacketed bullets but I may go ahead and buy some of the Remmington 180 JFP bullets work up a load with that since I like the factory performance and just want to be able to load my own.

I appreciate all suggestions and if I do not use yours do not take it personally it is not a sign that I don't value your opinion, just a lot of different options and you have to pick a route. Thank you again and keep the suggestions comming.

Page generated in 0.03453 seconds with 8 queries