View Single Post
Old April 4, 2008, 04:49 PM   #27
The Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmoffitt
"Barney Fife"...without losing control of his own emotions, he should not be in a law enforcement career.
It's funny you should mention Barney.

During the early 1970's my club rode quite a bit all over south central Wisconsin. We were well known, in fact, many local law enforcement agencies knew us as individuals.

Sometimes a LEO might say to our president, "Look, I can tell by the sound that none of you guys even know what a 'baffle' is or does, so no burn outs on the main street. Don't do anything I have to react to."

Then we would go into a friendly tavern and make the bar-keep a wealthy man.

Other guys would come down at the first sparkle of chrome like it was D-Day. We called these guys "Barney Fifes."

When our club was organizing bikers to fight the helmet law, we rode pretty much throughout the state. A club from their city would organize a party, we'd go and watch the girls dance and have a few Mountain Dews. We'd build some alliances and talk about the helmet vote.

Before sundown, Officer Fife came blazing into the campground in his cruiser and he was immediately showered with over 500 bottle rockets. A clear showing of disrespect. What was he going to do, handcuff all 1,200 of us?

One of his offciers talked to my president and told the prez that he had a little Harley Sportster. Our club officers asked him what time his shift ended and he informed us around 11:00PM.

We gave the nice cop a "visitor's button" and welcomed him back a few hours later.

All you have to do is ask...

Page generated in 0.03091 seconds with 8 queries