Thread: Rich
View Single Post
Old February 23, 2005, 09:45 AM   #9
Rich Lucibella
Staff

9mm:
Long Answer, a.k.a. "Lessons of a Former Newbie Publisher":

When I purchased SWAT, I really didn't know what a challenging business this is, financially. I thought it would be all about editorial only and never realized the challenges in expanding distribution. Luckily, other than reaching out for writers and pitching Denny on the occasional feature idea, I don't need to get involved on the editorial side. Denny Hansen is quite honestly the best and most respected Editor in the business.

So, much of my time is spent in advertising, Customer Service and Distribution. Retail shelf space is expensive and very competitive. With SWAT's distribution having dropped to a trickle by the time we took it over, I had no idea how difficult it would be to expand to new outlets. This is a two-fold process. First, you pay the chains to try you; then you have to demonstrate that you can sell. (This is as it should be in a free market).

As to the first part, we've invested a great deal in chain Buy-Ins.....distribution is up about 4X since we took over. When it comes to demonstrating sales, this is accomplished with Art and Content, pure and simple. So we took the book from 84 to 100 pages (116 for the next issue only); we recruited Betty, the most talented young Art Director I've ever seen; We increased cover weight and coating; and we went full color (from 16 pages color). Next stop: Monthly frequency- beginning with the November issue. (Still certain chains, like WalMart, tend to be anti-gun; unless your title was on their shelves when Patton was a Corporal, patience is the watchword.)

Results:
In a world where "Nobody Reads Anymore"; in an industry where everyone is downsizing page count, paper quality and total printed copies:
- SWAT's subscription base is up 400%+
- SWAT's Advertising revenues are up 400%+
- SWAT's Newsstand is up 400%+

Still, SWAT can be hard to find in certain areas, often depending on how "anti-gun" the wholesalers are. However, as the stats above show, we're winning the battle. When in doubt, check the major bookstores like Borders, B&N and Books-A-Million.

News Flash:
Beginning with the next issue (May 2005), check 7-11's nationwide.

USP:
The relationship between you and SWAT is high praise. You started out, in this forum, questioning what it offered the "Average Joe". You listened and agreed to try it. You reported your surprise at the content and layout and started buying it off the shelf. Today you're a long term subscriber. I simply can't ask for better feedback than that. Many thanks.
Rich
Rich Lucibella is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.03502 seconds with 8 queries