View Single Post
Old August 3, 2012, 12:52 AM   #1
CreamPup

.223 OAL maximum...

Hello out there, just a quick question. I've been loading .223 and 9mm on my Hornady LnL for about 6 months now (LOVE IT) and I bought a ton of bulk .223 bullets. I've been loading them to spec, and they just arent as accurate as I want them to be. I've been shooting quite a few years now, I've got a pretty steady hand and heart.

I know my MAX OAL is 2.260. That's great if I'm shooting a carbine, but I'm shooting a bolt remington 700.

So, my question is, is there technically a maximum I can load these short .223 bullets? I usually load my match rounds to the lands and seat .20 off of them. I have a feeling this little guy will be sticking quite a ways out of the case, exposing the cannelure, and probably looking a little strange. I know loading short increases your pressure. Loading long-really long for this bullet size- is it safe? I can't find anything saying it wouldn't be, as long as I keep it off the lands.

If I can load them long, I can get a much more accurate load out of a 55gr... And not have to spend a ton of money on SMK's (I know they aren't even in the same class) and get decent accuracy.

thanks!

Last edited by Brian Pfleuger; August 3, 2012 at 02:02 PM. Reason: Noise

Page generated in 0.04161 seconds with 8 queries