View Single Post
Old January 28, 2010, 03:32 AM   #39
zippy13

DanimalFL...

I started my trap shooting with a Remington1100 and no one looked down their nose at it. Before I shot it, I asked around and learned that it's considered rude and crude to shoot an non-Trap model auto-loader* without a shell catcher**. Perhaps it was the way you used your gun that had the old pharts out of sorts.

Like 1-oz, I consider myself more of a curmudgeon than a coot.

For those not versed in trap:
While shooting singles, the squad members are almost shoulder-to-shoulder. An auto-loader will eject hulls into your neighbor's space. It doesn't sound like much, but it's a real concentration breaker and it interrupts the squad's rhythm. Nobody has a good time when an unfettered auto it turned loose in a trap squad. If you show up with a regular auto, the rest of the squad may figure since you're gonna ruin their practice, they'll return the favor.

Some explanations...
*Trap model auto-loader.
Most shooters are aware of the outward appearance that distinguish trap models. The raised stock and long barrel with high rib are give aways. A trap model feature that's not so obvious is the modified ejector. A field model will toss the hulls well away from shooter, but a trap auto will drop the hulls at the shooters feet. With the R-1100 this is accomplished by an ejection attenuation pin in the Trap barrel's receiver tang.

**Shell catcher
For those without a special trap-style ejector, there's a little clip-on device that prevents ejection. They are available in plastic and steel. They're great for reloaders because the hull never hits the ground. Shell catchers are used in all of the shotgun sports -- the main problem is remembering to remove it when you shoot doubles. You don't really need a special clip, some shooters simply use a rubber band.

A typical shell catcher clip.

Page generated in 0.02966 seconds with 8 queries