Thread: Hog Bullets
View Single Post
Old March 16, 2018, 05:25 PM   #16
Dufus

Quote:
I only use the big calibers. Most of the time I carry a Marlin 45/70 or a .454 handgun. ( I do not use hollow points!) A bullet with a wide meplat works the best!

Hogs are tuff to say the least. Ive seen a 300lb'er get up after a neck shot from a 30-06 at 30 yards.......
Any of your calibers is capable of bringing down up to elephants, much less a 300 lb pig.

Is 300 the norm over yonder? They are rare here, although once in a while you can find one that big.

Our pigs do not take elephant cartridges to take them down. Any thing from 22 LR on up with an appropriate bullet will do the job.

I have shot one with my 460 just because. It wasn't a full house load and I just wanted to. I have only taken it out for that purpose just that once. Ir worked, but not an every day event by any means.

Most everyone down this way uses the 223 Rem with 60 gr or heavier bullets. I don't have a 223 Rem, but I have shot a couple with the nephews DPMS. I like the 308 Win for hog hunting. But I have used almost everything on them that I have.

Mt favorite is my 38-55 and a cast bullet. Mostly for nostalgia. Not much meat damage.

Page generated in 0.03446 seconds with 8 queries