View Single Post
Old May 26, 2012, 06:46 PM   #21
tobnpr

Quote:
Anything over 500 yards with a Mosin is great! Are hand loads for the Mosin really that effective? I might need to buy a hand loader then! I've been wanting to reload for awhile now but I never saw the need to since the only gun I really wanted to reload for accuracy purposes was my 6.5x55 swede. But after hearing that I might need to look into it
They're not precision rifles by any means. But, I worked on this one myself- aftermarket stock, free-float the barrel, pillar and receiver bedded, Timney trigger, cut/crown, and d&t'd a Weaver mount to it for a 6-24 scope for long range. Like I said- first, make sure the rifle shoots. Mine has a great barrel, and tight chamber. Lands are slightly rounded (not sharp), but well defined and zero pitting in the barrel. Arsenal refurb.

Like any rifle, handloads will make a difference. In comparison to the cheap surplus ammo- a HUGE difference. It will shoot minute of angle, with the 174 grain SMK's. See how she shoots, then decide if it's worth the effort- to put the effort- into it.

Just my $.02...

The original stocks can be sloppy. Often a gap between the recoil block and the recoil crossbolt, and a poor fit of the action to the stock. Any rifle benefits from a bedding job at least, and pillars as well to improve consistency. If you want to hunt with it, I'd consider an aftermarket stock (Boyd's), bed the receiver- consider a Timney- and you'll likely be yards ahead in accuracy than you would be if you left the action in the military stock.

Last edited by tobnpr; May 26, 2012 at 06:53 PM.

Page generated in 0.02210 seconds with 8 queries