View Single Post
Old May 26, 2011, 07:53 AM   #6
snuffy

Quote:
That is a nice mould. Is that a custom mould? How much was it? The HP shape is changeable? Very neet.
Ed, that's a group buy from over @ castboolits.com. It's made over in Slovenija by a man named Miha Prevec, he has access to a CNC milling center. The molds copy a very old design from a company called Cramer. Brass construction gives the best of two worlds, harder than aluminum, machines cleaner than steel or cast iron.

Cost was $156.00. Now I figure 100 dollars is a lot of money,(that dates me, it took 2 weeks to earn 100 bucks when I started working), so these molds are expensive. AND you have to wait a long time for them to be made.

The way a group buy works is; somebody comes up with an idea. There's a couple of guys over on C B that can use a CAD program to draw up a bullet shape/size/function. Then feelers are put out about interest in the form and function. When enough interest is shown, the mold maker is asked if he can run it. This group buy started 11-07-2010. http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/...ad.php?t=97566
So the wait was 1.5 years! It no sooner than it closed when another one was started,(about a month ago), it already has 60+ people ordering one.http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=114718

Yes, the pins can be changed out so you can make all one HP type, or turned around to make a solid, or any combination. I went with 2 of the normal round HP and 2 of the penta points to start with. I may make a few solids that will cast at about 215 grains, but I already have a lee 6 banger in the 200 RNFP.

Quote:
Eric fixed up a 454190 for me that looks a lot like your bullets, but cast @ 230gr....I wonder if a 1 to 20 mix would give me a bullet that would expand at say 900fps.
Yup, I bet that mix would be excellent as far as expansion would be concerned. Those that I made were from some range scrap lead that I re-claimed. It's about 12-14 BHN, so I don't expect it to expand much. I plan on mixing up an alloy of nearly pure lead with about 2% tin. Problem is I need some more tin. I'll raid the local fleet farm of most of their lead free solder while in town today!

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?

Last edited by snuffy; May 28, 2011 at 10:58 PM.

Page generated in 0.03705 seconds with 8 queries