View Single Post
Old December 2, 2009, 10:55 AM   #65
BillCA

Most of the panhandlers I see around here are losers who have drug issues or just can't hold down a real job. I've heard all the approach lines too.

Kid sick at home? Yeah, that'll get my attention. And I like Pete's solution - offer to go into the pharmacy and give him $10 to get the medicines. If they don't like that then the old Russian saying of toughski s**tski applies.

In about the last month some guy had a sign that was asking for donations "for food". Well, he was sitting near a McD's and I needed lunch, so... I figured a pair of cheeseburgers and a coke for about $2.50 might help him out. When I stopped by him, he asked if I could spare change. When I gave him food instead it was like I insulted him [admittedly, not everyone likes McD food] and he reacted badly. So I told him I'd feed it to my dog instead and drove off.

I rarely give money to panhandlers. There were two exceptions though. One fellow tried to dress decently as he could, and always had a mixed breed dog (German Shep and perhaps a Aussie cattle dog - lots of character) with him. One very cold winter morning he had trimmed a blanket down into a "vest" for his dog. The next day I pulled the bike over and handed him $10 plus a couple of small rawhide chew toys for the dog. My g/f gave me a pair of "doggie boots" that belonged to her late boxer and I gave him those, plus about $15 in canned food. He was very appreciative.¹

The other guy I'd give to was a real "Dickens" character. Scruffy coat, fingerless gloves, slacks and a rather well worn top hat. He'd stand at one street corner and in a great voice recite Dickens, Shakespeare or any number of scenes in a play. And he played the part too. The day after 9/11 he was singing patriotic songs on the corner while holding a flag. People were getting out, dashing the two lanes over to give him money. The next day he had a Union Jack and I heard the end of Brittania when he started singing Men of Harlech... and gave him a ten spot. At least he was performing for an appreciative audience.²

¹ The fact that he was poor didn't stop him from trying to take care of his dog and he did make an effort to keep his appearance as neat and trim as he could. Alas, some homeless guy knifed him to death over a 2-lb canned ham. He was well liked downtown - no less than 100 offers came in to care for his dog or adopt it. Apparently he rented a small room on a weekly basis and had very little.
² A reporter interviewed the guy. Lost a child to leukemia, marriage tailspun to divorce, wife maxed the cards out, lost his accounting job. Refused to panhandle but used amatuer stage acting to develop his schtick. Always upbeat too. Even a on a rainy day (while performing "singing in the rain"). He finally got hired to do voice overs for local commercials and is doing okay.

Page generated in 0.02174 seconds with 8 queries