View Single Post
Old October 12, 1999, 12:50 PM   #1
Rod WMG

For anyone interested, I have received a reply to my e-mails about Winchester primer failure from S. K. Quirk, which I will give the gist of, quoting in part. (Incidentally, on another board, poster Beverly McCord has had some similar and very disappointing results recently with Win. SP primers--this is another reloader with over twenty years of experience, for the record.)

Ms. Quirk wrote in a letter dated Oct. 1, 1999, but postmarked St. Louis Oct. 6, "I can assure you that we were very concerned to hear of this difficulty and are eager to be of assistance."

She goes on to say that "a ballistic investigation cannot be conducted without exhibits being made available to us" (DUH!). I infer from that the primer failure was not Winchesters fault, but mine because I didn't send the "exhibit" in for their analysis. And all the other recent failures experienced by handloaders reporting to me using Winchester primers and having much experience with the procedure are not to be laid at the feet of Winchester either. Sorry, I don't buy it.

Ms. Quirk provided an address for me to send future "exhibits" of failure. She adds, "We would like to thank you for the courtesy extended to us in this matter, [sic] with this in mind, we have enclosed a coupon [20 bucks worth], which you may use to purchase some replacement product."

My reply will be along these lines:

Dear Ms. Quirk,

If my original e-mail had received a personal response or my phone calls had been received by a real person at Winchester when I tried to contact you, or even if your voice mail had worked properly, much of the difficulty could have been avoided, I feel.

I appreciate your sending the $20 dollar coupon, but I must decline it and am returning it to you by enclosing it herein. I can't accept this "freebie," though I do recognize its conciliatory nature.

I don't think the implicit statement that I'm at fault for not returning the defective round to you is acceptable in the face of many reports to me via the internet of others experiencing the same problem with your primers. I would have been much more impressed if you had given me assurance that Winchester was devoting renewed effort at quality control in the manufacture of the primers and making its own investigation into the apparent recent rash of failures.

Sincerely,...

Page generated in 0.03674 seconds with 8 queries