View Single Post
Old March 23, 2020, 02:34 PM   #8
kilotanker22

I am a believer that barrel heat definitely makes a difference in how a rifle shoots as it warms up. If all of the surfaces and components are not true then as they heat up at different rates that can cause stresses that may cause groups to open up. The barrel also being thinner than the action heats up more. Hotter steel is not as strong as cooler steel. It has been my belief that that is the reason why some lightweight hunting rifles actually shoot better with a pressure.point than they do when free floated.

This is a factory rifle so I assume that the receiver and barrel are not true to each other not are the locking lugs seating perfectly. If I were a betting man. I would say that instead of 5 round groups. If I shot a total of twenty 3 shot groups and took the average size from them. I would see a tighter group than any of the 5 round groups I will shoot.

If I have the action trued, lugs lapped, bolt face "faced true" I would bet that these 5 round groups would not open up as much as the barrel heats.
“We do not seek peace in order to be at war, but we go to war that we may have peace. Be peaceful, therefore, in warring, so that you may vanquish those whom you war against, and bring them to the prosperity of peace.
– St. Augustine

Page generated in 0.03378 seconds with 8 queries