View Single Post
Old November 3, 2017, 12:25 PM   #14
Onward Allusion

Quote:
Just to be clear: Are you talking about modifying question 12.a as a form of backdoor gun control?

If so, I believe the answer to your question would be no. Form 4473 cannot be modified nor the underlying regulations changed without a formal review process and a comment period. The law does not prohibit an immigrant alien from possessing firearms and Form 4473 reflects this.

I'm aware that the previous administration achieved some notoriety for changing regulations WITHOUT the formal review process and comment period, but people can (and did) sue to stop these changes from taking effect, and it's easier to demonstrate in court that someone has suffered specific harm from having their 2A rights taken away than it is to demonstrate such harm from the Obama administration's actions on DACA and so forth. This should make it easier to establish a plaintiff's standing and justify an injunction against the regulations.

[EDIT] Footnote: Just to be clear myself, by using the term "immigrant alien," I am referring to a lawful permanent resident – someone with a green card.
Yes. That is EXACTLY what I was asking about - backdoor gun control. . . . AND yes, I was referring to green card folks.

I am not sure I would agree that it would be difficult to do, however. I'm fairly certain that a portion of gun owners/supporters would not put up a big stink over it. Not to mention the antis who would jump on the wagon.

Page generated in 0.04105 seconds with 8 queries