View Single Post
Old September 18, 2022, 01:03 PM   #68
chaim

If I was to pick just one gun to do everything (I'm not a hunter so we're talking home defense, carry and range in my case), it would be tough.

First, a disclaimer... I live in MD. Until recently, it was difficult for most people to get a carry permit here (if you weren't a cop, judge, prosecutor, or business owner, it was almost impossible). I have carried for a while when out of state on a UT permit, but what you can comfortably carry for a couple hours, or for a few days, may not be the same as what is comfortable day to day, every day.

So, I'm in the Glock 19 sized crowd (I don't own any Glocks, just using that as a comparison that most people are familiar with). In that category, my main choice (and frequent carry when out of state) is a CZ P01/PCR. Being an aluminum alloy handgun, it is a little heavier and thicker than the Glock though. So, it is possible that I would replace mine (and I love my CZs) with a polymer Glock 19 or S&W M&P 9 Compact M2.0 if I was actually going to do this. In fact, now that I'm about to have a MD permit (just waiting for them to process my application), I have finally bought a SIG P365 for carry, and I am seriously thinking about buying a M&P 9 Compact M2.0 or Glock 19 to compliment the SIG 365 and CZ P01 and PCR (I may trade the P01 on it since I don't really need both the P01 and PCR). If it turned out that that is just a little large on a day to day basis, my older (1st gen) S&W M&P 40c is fine at the range (especially with extended 15 round mags with a sleeve), so that or a Glock 26 with the larger gun's mag may become the choice.

Luckily, most of us who have been shooting more than a few years don't need to make such a choice, but there is a reason a Glock 19, CZ PCR/P01, SIG 320 Compact, S&W M&P M2.0 Compact, etc. are great recommendations for a first gun. They are the modern version of the venerable 3" or 4" K-frame revolver, large enough to serve as a service weapon, small enough for carry.

Last edited by chaim; September 18, 2022 at 01:10 PM.

Page generated in 0.02306 seconds with 8 queries