View Single Post
Old June 19, 2013, 04:40 PM   #7
jmr40

Quote:
Are there any methods any of you is aware of to determine when to stop in your load workup for 7.62x54r?
I don't load for the round, but I'd do it the same exact way I'd do it with any other round. I'd use a chronograph. Trying to use

Quote:
flattened primers, maybe primer craters, increased bolt lift force, ejector marks on the case head, and if measured, increased pressure ring expansion.
as a guide is not a good idea. These things don't happen until you are well over 60,000 psi, closer to 70,000.

If your loading manual claims 50.5 gr of Varget is good for 2985 fps with 150 gr bullets @ 46,400 CUP is a max load, ( I borrowed this load from here). http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp then 2985 fps is a max safe load. By starting low, and working up you know you are approaching a safe max load when you get close to the max speed. You might hit 2985 fps at only 49.5 gr. Going with more powder will put you over pressure.

A chronograph isn't perfect, but is the easiest way to predict pressure BEFORE you get over the limit. Other methods require you to go over the limits, then back off some. You could still be over pressure and have no traditional signs.

Page generated in 0.03578 seconds with 8 queries