View Single Post
Old March 6, 2013, 10:05 PM   #20
carguychris

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigclubs
I read the safe act posted on the NY website and revolvers are exempt from the 7 shot magazine regulation.
Reread it. The website I've seen only says that a revolver is not considered an "assault weapon". Believe it or not, that's NOT the issue.

Issue #1 is that it's illegal to place more than 7 rounds in ANY gun unless you are attending a sanctioned competition at an organized shooting range.

Issue #2 is that the SAFE Act also includes all sorts of regulations regarding "Large Capacity Ammunition Feeding Devices" (LCAFD's), and the definition of an LCAFD is written in very broad terms that include a "drum... or similar device". It is NOT clear than 8-10 shot revolver cylinders are exempt from this definition, and a LCAFD is treated very much like an "Assault Weapon" under the law, e.g. registration is required, and sales or manufacturing of new ones are forbidden.

If NYS has issued any sort of clarification stating that a revolver cylinder is NOT a LCAFD, I haven't heard about it. There are several ongoing threads about this and similar topics, and most NY residents have found that the NYSP is being very vague and wishy-washy when asked such questions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigclubs
The really disturbing section falls under the penal law sectrion that if not rewritten, all firearm owners regardless of the type of firearm will be guilty of a class B felony.
The definition of "firearm" under NYS law is somewhat different than the common-sense everyday definition of the term, i.e. a device that launches a projectile from a barrel using a chemical propellant.

The NYS definition is:
Quote:
"Firearm" means (a) any pistol or revolver; or (b) a shotgun having one or more barrels less than eighteen inches in length; or (c) a rifle having one or more barrels less than sixteen inches in length; or (d) any weapon made from a shotgun or rifle whether by alteration, modification, or otherwise if such weapon as altered, modified, or otherwise has an overall length of less than twenty-six inches; or (e) an assault weapon. <Provisions re: how to make the measurements omitted for brevity.>
IOW the definition of "Firearm" includes handguns, SBRs, SBSs, and so-called "assault weapons". These weapons require registration. Other non-"firearm" bang-stick thingies do not.

Page generated in 0.03453 seconds with 8 queries