View Single Post
Old January 12, 2012, 07:23 AM   #5
Winchester_73

Thanks for the help everyone.

Quote:
Why are you assuming it was sent back for a new stock ? I thought only some of the stacks were salted ?
I thought all of the rifles in certain time frames / SN ranges were salt wood. Scorch has informed me that it was the higher grade rifles and shotguns.

Quote:
Winchester_73, As you know they did replace some stocks and yours could of been one but that doesn't hurt the value.
Well I was thinking the opposite. If it was replaced, that would help the value some. On the other hand, the condition of the metal shows there isn't any salt wood currently.

Quote:
I'm sure there may be some records as to serial # but that never figured into the value of your rifle.
IMO it would be worth a little more if it was 1958 instead of 1968, but I can't see it being 1958. The SN is 8L45290. Does anyone have any idea either way?

Quote:
All of the salt wood stocks were Claro walnut, yours is European walnut. Claro walnut was often used for higher grade rifles due to the color and grain of Claro as compared to regular walnut. Very few of the rifles affected were Hi-Powers and Safaris, most were Medallions and Olympus grade rifles, which had the higher grade wood.
I did a quick search and it looks like claro stocks are darker with beautiful wood grain compared to my stock? Is that how you were able to tell?

Quote:
As to whether or not your rifle was restocked, replacement stocks did not have the serial number stamped in the barrel channel, most original factory stocks do.
I wondered that. Mine DOES have the SN in the barrel channel. So I have an ORIGINAL, NON salt wood stock which is great. I no longer have to think about this issue anymore. Thanks for the tips.

Old Roper and mete: Thanks for the kind words about my rifle. I am sure I will enjoy it. I now wonder how it will group and there's only one way to find out.

Page generated in 0.03357 seconds with 8 queries