View Single Post
Old April 4, 2009, 04:38 PM   #14
CaptainCrossman

if the gun was played with and dry fired a lot without nipples on it, then the hammer wears down and won't crush the cap and ignite- in that case, have someone put a spot of weld on the hammer where it contacts cap, and file it smooth- I fixed one that way

but to be honest, it sounds like you have the dreaded Colt bent wedge problem- you may have to make a new wedge from billet or hardened forged steel, file it to size, and tap it in.

or, the slot in the cylinder pin is worn

or, the barrel slot is wearing to the rear, if you remove the barrel you'll see there's not a lot of material on the loading side of the barrel, where the pin engages the barrel thrust- due to it being scooped out for loading powder/ball-the barrel starts to give/move there sometimes

or, the nipples are becoming flattened out, and the gun needs new nipples- i.e. get stainless hardened ones, mine are from Uncle Mike's (if he's even still in business)

or, all/some of the above in combination

welcome to the world of Colt repros- that's why it's best to buy a Remington for a beginner, or for a heavy shooter- they are more reliable

Page generated in 0.02534 seconds with 8 queries