View Single Post
Old March 17, 2008, 07:00 PM   #8
BillCA

What I want in an instructor depends on what I'm there to learn.

- Basic shooting techniques, marksmanship, use of the sights, safety, etc. can all be taught by qualified NRA instructors. They can be accountants or janitors for all I care, as long as their instruction and communication is clear.

- CCW classes that include the legal, moral and ethical use of arms in CCW and basic shooting proficiency can also be taught by NRA instructors or people who are experienced carriers who know the laws. This isn't really instructing on a high-performance level, but to meet state requirements.

Once you get into the more advanced material, the instructor has more credibility if he's had a chance to employ the techniques he's teaching and knows first hand what can go wrong with them. If someone is teaching combat-shotgun but has never deployed one then I have to question his competence.

Instructors will generally teach a certain style, stance, grip, method, etc. That's fine, as long as they articulate why they teach that method as a proven one. Also they need to recognize "one sizes fits all" doesn't work. Certain techniques don't work for southpaws (and what's their left-handed solution!) while other people may be better off with their own stance with minor adjustments.

I had the luxury of being trained by a former FBI agent and every course of fire was done in these 5 steps...
1. Instructor verbally describes the course of fire while slowly going through the motions as a demonstration. At this point he reminds students of key elements (stance, forearm parallel to ground, use of barricade, etc.)
2. Students w/empty weapons do a dry-run a step at a time so the instructor can correct as needed.
3. Repeat twice, going a little faster each time.
4. One cycle through the course (1 mag) and pause for any corrections.
5. Full cycle through the course with debrief/corrections following.

A good instructor has a reason for every element he teaches. Some of these he may impart to students during classroom training (e.g. why a line thru the grip up the center of the forearm) and others when on the line where he can demonstrate (e.g. how to use a telphone pole for cover).

Lastly, I prefer instructors who don't have a lot of ego tied up in their courses. If you ask why things are done "His Way" instead of the way you were taught, he should be happy to articulate his reasons. Without getting grumpy about useful but older techniques or smarmy about the qualifications of a previous instructor.

Page generated in 0.03108 seconds with 8 queries