View Single Post
Old May 17, 2021, 01:15 AM   #22
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
If I were pushed, I'd define it as when it goes to wildcat territory. I can't think of ANY handgun cartridge in my lifetime that's done that.
I think there ought to be a distinction between obsolete and out of production, because they can be different things.

My dictionary lists obsolete as both 1) no longer in use, and 2)outmoded in design, style, or construction. Both of those can be due to nothing more than popularity and economics and can have nothing to do with the effectiveness of the round itself.

I can think of several rounds new in the last 60 years that are no longer made, (most of them rifle rounds and several of them Remingtons) but some pistol rounds too.

Are rounds "obsolete" if small quantities of ammo, or just brass are made once in a while??

And what about all those "obsolete" rounds dating from the 1870s-80s era that are not only having ammo currently produced but also new firearms for that ammo? .45 Colt comes to mind for just one of those. "New" guns are new made guns, they don't have to be new made designs to be new guns.

The article is just a way to stir up discussion by involving some controversy, and their opinions aren't worth any more to me than mine is to them.

Page generated in 0.03009 seconds with 8 queries