View Single Post
Old March 11, 2013, 10:28 PM   #16
F. Guffey

You bought old ammo, it has been sitting on the shelf. The brass split due to stress corrosion cracking. It was manufactured in 2003.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chain of possession, I have no clue how the box of ammo was stored, as to ‘it does not take me long to look at it’, after I experience a problem with a box of ammo, I stop, who knows what the story would have been had a few of the cases been saved.

A friend called and was asking about Remington ammo, seems a pound owner of a new Ruger rifle and two boxes of Remington 30/06 ammo that had 5 cases to fail to fire fire out of 20, long story, he brought the 15 fired and 5 failed to fire cases over, no new box and no way of contacting the proud owner. We tore the ammo down and measure everything to the grain and thousandths, I was impressed. The fired cases would chamber in my chamber gage, I removed the primers then installed them back in the same case they were installed in, I chambered all 5 cases in one of my M1917s and fired them one at a time. I believe the cases would have fired in any of of sever M1917s, there were 5 attempts to fire the failed to fire cases in 3 different 30/06 rifles at the range. At the range that day it was ‘bad old Remington ammo’. I was impressed with their primers, hammered 5 times then bang when fired in a rifle that does not have a bashful firing pin.

F. Guffey

Page generated in 0.02317 seconds with 8 queries