View Single Post
Old November 18, 2012, 11:39 AM   #16
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

You don't have to totally disregard hydrostatic shock, you just have to not count on it. It's unpredictable.

Hydrostatic shock is a byproduct of bullet speed. The faster is's going, the more shock it will cause, which is one reason I personally prefer light, fast, monolithic bullets. They expand rapidly, penetrate deep and maximize shock.

I normally use Barnes TTSX bullet of the lightest weight I can get for the caliber. I have been very, very impressed with their performance.

Just yesterday, my uncle shot a nice buck with a 243Win (you know, that cartridge that is so often "not enough for deer" in the internet world?) loaded with 80gr Barnes TTSX bullet at 3,465fps.

It was a steep quartering away shot. The bullet shattered the rear leg and penetrated all the way up through the diaphragm. At least 3 feet of penetration, AFTER shattering an average sized adult bucks leg. Following the blood trail, you'd have sworn it was a double lung shot. The bleeding was massive. He went about 300 yards.

Yesterday afternoon, I shot an average sized doe at about 40 yards with the same bullet, loaded to about 3,550 in my 243AI. The bullet destroyed both lungs, splattered her heart and completely shattered the off-side shoulder. She went about 75 yards. I made an almost identical shot 2 years ago with a 110gr 7mm Barnes TTSX at 2,850fps from a 15" Encore handgun and that deer dropped where it stood and quit moving before it could even TRY to get up.

Speed kills.

(but you still have to hit 'em right)

Page generated in 0.02787 seconds with 8 queries