View Single Post
Old February 9, 2001, 09:53 PM   #9
Steve Smith

Hawkman, I'd bet that you could've gotten on fine with your single seat/crimp die. (I used two dies for thins, but you don't HAVE to). As 9x45 said, cake the die out quite a bit, place a factory round in the shellplate, raise the ram, and then turn the die down 'till you can feel the outside (crimp) touch the case...then turn the inside (seater) down 'till it touches the bullet. (how's that for a run-on sentence?) Now, place a sized case in the shellplate, and put a bullet on it. Run the ram up, and back down. Whip out the calipers, and measure the crimp and the bullet depth. compare these with what's in the manual, and adjust the die accordingly. It doesn't take much to crimp it correctly. Remember, you're NOT crimping the brass in towards the bullet, you're merely taking the bell out when you taper crimp.

I have a feeling that you just crimped it too much...OR is your sizing die going all the way down? IF not, you may be leaving a ring of "larger than the rest" brass where your sizing die isn't reaching.

Page generated in 0.02468 seconds with 8 queries