View Single Post
Old August 18, 2002, 06:18 PM   #15

I regularly shoot a load consisting of 3 grains of Red Dot and a 000 buckshot pellet crimped at it's circumference. This load is all but silent, and is quite accurate out to at least 25 yards (that is as far as I have shot them). Buckshot is available in one pound boxes from Hornady. I initally coated the balls with alox and sized them. After loading some of them, I decided that the pure lead ball simply deforms to the size dictated by the seating/crimp die. For that reason, you can use any buckshot pellet that is at least .309-.310.
The next step up from there for me is a cast lead bullet which drops from an RCBS mould at about 190 grains. I seat that bullet over 20 grains of 2400 and plink with it as far as I can see. I have never fired it on paper for groups at anything over 50 yards but I have put 5 in the A-Zone of a silhouette from close to 200 yards offhand.
Why use a heavy bullet ? Increased effectiveness. Just because you want a light load, doesn't mean you have to have a light bullet. You cut the velocity to a bare minimum, the heavy bullet allows the load to still be effective on game animals. I wouldn't hesitate to use my cast bullet loads on coyotes, jackrabbits, groundhogs, ground squirrels, or whatever.
From behind each fence and farmyard wall,
Chasing the redcoats down the lane,
Then crossing the fields to emerge again
Under the trees at the turn of the road,
And only pausing to fire and load.

Page generated in 0.03915 seconds with 8 queries