View Single Post
Old September 5, 2013, 08:14 PM   #30
mmathras

I had the very same problem today!

Not realizing that the primer did not seat fully with my Lee Turret Press and after the casing received its powder charge and the bullet was seated, the loaded cartridge could not be removed from the shell holder (due to the projection of the unseated primer below the deck of shell holder.) The shell and shell holder was removed from the press. After donning safety goggles and a face shield, the lead bullet was grasped with a Vise Grips pliers. A slit was slowly cut into the casing just below the low edge of the bullet with a hack saw. Water was poured into the casing through the slit to soak the powder. The slit was then completed through the casing and the bullet head removed. After flushing out the shell of any remaining wet powder, a 1/16" drill bit was inserted through the remaining top of the casing into the flash hole and held with the Vise Grips pliers ....and the unseated primer was lightly tapped out through the bottom---thereby now allowing the removal of the brass. I figured that if the primer was to detonate, the drill bit would be somewhat constricted from becoming a projectile by the Vise Grips arrest.

I'm still not certain just why the primer never fully seated in the first place. I now check each and every supposedly de-primered case after the first stage of this press sequence to make certain 1. the old primer has been ejected and 2.) the new primer has seated properly.

Page generated in 0.02214 seconds with 8 queries