Thread: Primer question
View Single Post
Old January 13, 2013, 08:20 PM   #5
Sevens

Quote:
Even using the exact same components as listed you should work up from the starting load and test in increments anyway. More so if you change bullet, primer or COL.
Terrific advice, I want to spring-board from it.

I think a lot of people see a published load and look at it like it's the building instructions to a nuclear device. "This, this and this-this-and THIS all have to be _____ to do this."

Not true.

Published load data is basically a guideline, it's a detailed, published EXPERIMENT, usually backed by a proper laboratory with terrific, expensive equipment and professionals who are skilled to operate it and present the results.

They publish the bits because the bits are RELEVANT, not because they have to be specifically repeated. Example? Ambient temperature. Elevation above sea level. Barrel length. Mny even tell you the rifle unless it was developed in some kind of machine rig. All of these are absolutely relevant to the published experiment and are parts of what made up the result.

Just like the primer!
Ask yourself if you used the same headstamp of brass they used? They almost assuredly used factory new & unfired brass also...did you? Should you?

Naaa, not necessary.
Your best bet with published load data (no, not just you, all of us! ) is to see what they did and use the main components and start below their max -- by 10% or 15%, and use the same powder and a VERY similar bullet. Oh...and make sure we are talking about the same caliber they were running, too!

When you start low in a safe territory, it doesn't matter HOW much different your items are. Different brass? Different barrel? You at death valley while they worked the load up in the Alps?! Truth: it's okay, because you are starting low, observing the results, looking for signs of pressure, looking even more critically for signs of excessive pressure, and working safely toward your goal, whatever that may be.

In some cases... you do need a primer like the one they list. Magnum primers offer two things-- they give a hotter, longer burn and they come with a thicker, stronger cup to resist pressure leakage. In these cases, you do need to heed the suggestions. As to brand? Not to worry.

As long as you follow what NWPilgrim said, which is a cardinal rule in handloading, you'll make safe and successful loads.

Page generated in 0.03323 seconds with 8 queries