View Single Post
Old September 10, 2005, 07:51 AM   #66
Cato

Dwight- ever tried to reload a shotgun under stress? You can reload
all day long with two hands busy (Where does your cell phone or flashlight go?) if you want to close the gap to the 5.56 carbine.

"Shooting into the face" with buckshot isn't possible with most combat shotgun chokes even at 10-15meters. Why limit yourself to that?
What about stray buckshot pellets? Personally, I would hate to kill a family
member because I can't account for each bullet I fire.

And as far as the handgun is concerned- all handgun calibers are piss poor stoppers! "Garanteed 90% one shot stopping power"... now you can achieve that with a nuclear device- but not with a firearm.

Quote:
As for overpenetration, you admit that a pistol or shotgun won't penetrate body armor but a .223 will. Then you said that a pistol and shotgun WILL overpenetrate walls more than a .223. Which is it?
If barriers are anything like vests, I'd extrapolate that drywall, wood, etc. will stop bullets similarly to vests. .
Its a huge difference if a bullet has to penetrate several layers oft soft
fabric or hard material like plywood, bricks, etc. In the first case, 5.56 will penetrate, whereas in the second case the bullet will start to tumble after
the first few inches and desintegrate.

Quote:
The close range penetration tests conducted indicated that high velocity .223 rounds were initially unstable and may, depending on their construction, disintegrate when they strike an object that offers some resistance. When concrete, brick or macadam are struck at an angle at close range, .223 rounds tent to fragment or break up, and ricochets are generally less hazardous. The .223 could consequently be considered safer for urban street engagements, because of its inherent frangibility within the cross-compartments created by street environments. In other words, in most shootings, the round would probably strike something, hopefully a hard object, break up and quickly end its potentially lethal odyssey.

The hollow point cavity in the .40S&W round filled with material when shot through the wall. This caused [these bullets] to fail to expand when they entered the gelatin. As a result, they penetrated 8.5" farther than when shot directly into the gelatin.

When the .223 [HP] was shot through he wall it began to fragment and as a result penetrated the gelatin only 5.5".

Because the .223 [HP] begins to break up on impact, it has less potential for damage or injury than the 12 ga. in the event of a ricochet. The .223 [HP] is obviously safer in an urban environment than the 12 ga. with slugs or buckshot.
http://www.olyarms.com/?page=223articles

Page generated in 0.02647 seconds with 8 queries