Thread: Sling for AR15
View Single Post
Old March 20, 1999, 05:46 PM   #5
Hilton

I've been using the Giles for a few years, and find it to be a worthy version of the classic HK sling, adapted to the AR family. It's durable and comfortable, and not so wide as to catch on load bearing equipment. The Tactical Taylor sling has many fans, but I'm still not sure I like the idea of having a Fastex buckle in the middle of the sling -- with my luck, it'll quick detach when I don't want it to.
JFS/Boonie Packer also makes a 3 pt sling of somewhat lighter weight webbing, and it includes a fast release catch that locks the sliding point of the sling in place. This is an interesting feature, though the tradeoff is that this sling does not track freely in the back like the HK/Giles.
The Chalker system is a good one if you need to hump the weapon all day. It does everything that a properly set up HK sling does, but spreads the load over both shoulders with a H harness. The quick release hook makes it quick to remove the weapon, though some have said that it's a little too quick -- their weapon fell off at a bad time. The main downside to the Chalker system is that you must put the harness on, making it a bigger to-do than simply slinging a traditionally slung weapon.

Page generated in 0.02833 seconds with 8 queries