View Single Post
Old October 29, 2023, 07:35 AM   #4
zukiphile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghbucky
Say someone has cut down a shotgun barrel to where it is no longer legal under NFA.
The first step would be to find out whether it is legal under the NFA. If there's a stamp for it, there may be an heir who wants to go through the transfer process. The item you describe doesn't sound extremely desirable, but you never know what attachment an heir will have.

Either way, the item should be held by the representative of the estate or his counsel. It still happens that people will die with interesting things in their collections that would have been retainable NFA items if they had applied. Historically I've communicated directly with ATF about items in my possession and not had any problem, but not in the last couple of years.

I don't like hearing back that there is no stamp when the item looks like an overseas bring back. ATF is OK with me destroying it myself or dropping it off with police to destroy. I never destroy it myself, but leave it with a thoroughly bent local police department. I assume it will find its way into an individual POs collection.

Page generated in 0.02851 seconds with 8 queries