View Single Post
Old July 13, 2005, 09:44 PM   #87
Dave Sample

Hang in there, Shorts. You are learning more than the average bear.

I sent a gun back today to Colorado with another butchered Clark ramped 38 Super barrel and a flat spot slide stop. This guy is in the AH Club 100! I didn't replace this one because I am tired of that stuff and the gun is not for sale. The owner knows what it is and does not care at this point. He just wants a 5" 38 Super Shooter to plink with and it will do that. Clark barrels are a nighmare to fit and this one was badly out of round. The last Wilson we chopped that I installed 18 years ago was right on the money. Go Figure?

I guess I missed the LW lower end somewhere along the line. I thought it was just a steel officers lower end. Makes no difference as far as feed ramps are concerned. Every 9mm, 38 Super, 45 ACP, 10mm Centaur, 400 Cor Bon, I have ever built had the same feed ramp to barrel throat gap but what do I know? I know they all ran and are still running. Maybe I am just lucky?

Most 1911's will fire just fine standing on the link. It is not the best, but it works. What matters is that the gun comes back from recoil in the exact same place after each shot and it tight when the round lites off. This is the way factory guns are set up and you can take any stock factory gun and you will rarely see any marks on the lower lugs from the slide stop pin.

This is a 9mm Belly gun, good for killing a perp at from 3 to 7 yards. I think in my eagerness to help you, I lose sight of that. I used to build Bullseye Guns that took 1500-2000 rounds of firing before the slide would go into battery without a push from your thumb. EAGLE III, my 400 Cor Bon is set up tight like that and we have cycled the slide several hundred times now and have not even fired it yet. I am looking for three inches at 50 yards with that one, if I can get a magic load that will work.

I am different about barrels than most in this business, and all I have ever used is Fred Kart's barrels for a good many years. I made my bucks elsewhere and never had time to mess with other stuff like the Big Boys do. When I build a gun I want it to be the best. Period.

We are faced with a 45 lower and a 9mm upper and that is not an easy deal. We are using used parts, new parts, old parts, and weird parts.

We will "Get R Dun!"

Page generated in 0.02821 seconds with 8 queries