View Single Post
Old July 12, 2005, 07:13 AM   #78
Unclenick
Staff

Shorts,

It looks like you're in good shape. When I saw the back of the slide ever so slightly forward of the back of the frame, I was worried you had run out of material before lug cutting could begin, but Dave's observation that you had plenty of meat was correct. You don't need any lug cutting, however, since you are already slide-forward and locked up. The only improvement possible would be to check for unevenness in the lug contacts against the assembly pin. Hallock covered this (page169 in my copy). (While you're at it, re-read pages 124-130 for link details.)

Assuming feet to be even, just check that the existing link lets your slide get to the exact same position and the barrel just as high up in the ejector port as it went without the link. If so, you are in like flint.

We'll have to get you to buy a tube of Prussian blue (Hi Spot blue). This is a blue dye in a grease base. Because it doesn't dry, it has the advantage of thinning where contact is good. This lets you see grades of contract rather than the on/off go/no-go nature of layout blue or Magic Marker. Also gets thinner than the dry film coloring. Better for scraping.

I made a pull-scraper some years ago from water hardening drill rod. It is easier to scrape lugs with. I will see if I can detail it this evening. Day job is calling now.

Nick

Page generated in 0.03492 seconds with 8 queries