View Single Post
Old June 17, 1999, 10:40 AM   #2
CapeFear

As you can tell from the name I'm from N.C. also. Welcome to the world of hunting! You are asking all the right questions first. So if you don't have your law degree go get one and then we will discuss our wildlife regulations. Just kidding

This fall you will have three upland bird options dove, quail, and grouse. It will be spring before the next turkey season. There is also a fall season for ducks and geese but I would stay away from those for a first hunting trip. I would start out hunting dove if I were in your shoes. As much as I love hunting grouse and quail, without a dog you are going to learn alot more about the "hunt" part than the shoot and eat part.

You will need to get a "Sportman's" license and pass a hunters safety course if you haven't already. The Sportman's license will allow you to hunt the two million acres of National Forest and other public land available here in N.C. When you buy your license they will give you two books, one of them will be the 100 page regulations digest and the other will be the maps to the public lands (gamelands).

Your shotgun is perfect for anything you want to hunt. Don't worry too much about the barrel length, it is perfect for quail and grouse and will work for doves. It must be plugged to limit it to three shots. Use the factory plug that came with it.

I am sure I've forgotten more than I've remembered but this should get you started. You are about to begin an Odyssey. You will not believe how much you're about to learn, from the wildlife regulations to the gamelands to anticipation you will feel waiting for the hunting season to begin.
Now get started! Dove season starts in September! Here is the address for the on line regulations. http://www.state.nc.us/Wildlife/LawEnforcement/digest /

Have fun and feel free to ask questions!

[This message has been edited by CapeFear (edited June 17, 1999).]

Page generated in 0.03295 seconds with 8 queries