View Single Post
Old May 20, 2014, 11:46 PM   #2
Clark

For a while I thought that chronographs would only last a while because I shot 3 of them. Then I realized I only shot them with handguns. I switched to rifles only over my chrono, and the 4th chrono has lasted for many years.
And even later I learned that if I shot a group with a handgun before setting up the chrono, I could be sure that the chrono was outside the spray cone of my handgun marksmanship.

For a while I thought that the chronograph was only good for internet bragging, e.g. my 380 did 1187 fps 158 gr and my 223 did 4200 fps 33 gr, but then I started use it with quickload. I could compare the chrono to make sure I was operating Quickload correctly. I could use the companion software Quicktarget to make a trajectory chart for long range shots.
But since then I am mostly concerned that I operate Quickload in a way that all similar case heads fail at the same pressure. I am now working up my drop charts from actual long range shooting.

For a while I was buying Shooting Chrony machines for $80. They had an intermittent problem of failure to trigger. After I shot two of those I switched to ProChrono for $100 and they did not have that problem. Then I shot at 2500 feet in high desert with black sky straight up and it would not trigger. I turned the chrono sideways and shot between the chrono and a cardboard box. That made a shadow and it triggers at high altitude.

I tried making a close range set up for handguns, but the gas was getting over the opto sensors and giving erroneous readings. I put cardboard in the way of the gas, and had the chrono behind the target.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?

Page generated in 0.02764 seconds with 9 queries