View Single Post
Old January 1, 2002, 12:28 PM   #1
Hand_Rifle_Guy

Value on a Parker combo gun?

I have a chance to get a Parker V-grade 12 guage/.45-70 hammerless combo gun. It has express sights with 4 silver-inlaid leaves from 25 yds. to 100 yds., with an ivory front bead with a built-in reflector set in the rib. It's a bit battered, but the barrels retain all bluing, the bores are shiny, with no pitting, it locks up solid like a bank vualt and it's not damascus. No particular type of steel is identified on the rib. Double triggers, a worn, melted-looking dog's-head buttplate, and a pistol-grip cap. Oh, and a blank silver stock shield on the bottom of the shoulder stock. No initials, or anything.

The dealer's asking $1199 for it, which I am inclined to fork over, as this is the closest thing to a double rifle I've seen that won't cost like 10 grand. Serial range is 70 thousand-ish, But I don't know what vintage it is.

Is this price good/bad/indifferent? Can someone tell me approximately when it was built? I have seen other Parkers, but all have been much higher grades, and were MUCH more expensive. (A three gun set for a mere $95,000? Among others... )

I'm pretty much sold on this gun, but I would like to know if I'm getting any kind of deal. I don't really want to kiss this guy, but it's nice to at least kiss when you're getting screwed.

Thanks much.

I'm reminded of that every time the phone rings.

"The telephone is an infernal device whereby any damnfool with a nickel can ruin your whole day."---Mark Twain

H_R_G

Page generated in 0.03869 seconds with 8 queries