View Single Post
Old January 4, 2002, 02:39 PM   #5
chaim

Quote:
A new gun-control law that takes effect tomorrow will force Maryland customers to watch a two-hour movie on gun safety before buying a firearm
Actually, as one of the later editorials posted says it is actually a 45min tape.

It went into effect 1/1 or 1/2 (I've been told both), but at anyrate it is currently in effect. However, as of last night (1/3) NONE of the gunshops I went to had yet received the video, making the new law effectively a temporary gun ban (except for cops and military personnel).

Quote:
Law-enforcement officers and those in the military or with honorable discharges do not have to take
A bit of an annoyance to me. Why not include Medical and General Discharges? Those with Dishonorable Discharges are ALREADY banned from buying guns. If you have a General Discharge but can show weapons training on your DD214, does that not show weapons proficiency? I thought the new law was to insure a basic knowlege of gun safety, not to insure character. Not to mention, my General Discharge after Basic Training due to a bad ankle DOES NOT show bad character!

Also, why does a 3 hr safety class I took a year ago from a professional gun trainer not count because it didn't include a 45 min tape that the state hadn't yet produced? Why not allow NRA training courses, argueably the best training courses available? Of course all Marylanders know the answer to that last one- the NRA is evil .

Quote:
The law [already] says you are required to buy a lock for your handgun
Another ridiculous MD law. One must buy a trigger lock for all handguns, even if it already has a built in lock , like all new Taurus guns.

Quote:
More than 1,000 gun owners have taken the new course, state officials said, which includes a 45-minute in-classroom video but which by law does not require testing
I wonder where the Baltimore Sun got this info. If true I'd like them to tell me where I can see the video so I can buy a gun since ALL the shops and ranges I've checked with don't have the video yet!

Quote:
The General Assembly approved legislation last year requiring every public school student to take a gun-safety class. But Glendening vetoed the measure - a compromise between gun-control advocates and opponents - after teachers complained that the class might have the effect of encouraging students to use firearms, rather than discouraging them from handling them
As I recall the all the controversy was because some of the training materials came from, GASP, the NRA. Don't want the little tykes exposed to propaganda about guns . Of course the contributions to the curriculum from HCI were perfectly ok.

Got to love Maryland :barf: . LET ME OUT OF HERE!!!

Page generated in 0.03858 seconds with 8 queries