View Single Post
Old May 8, 2013, 07:45 AM   #2
Jimro

Some logical reasons, a few not so logical:

1. Issue precision weapons are generally in 308 Win. So if a SWAT/SRT guy wants to train on his off time he'll train in 308.

2. F/TR class. Requires 308 Win or 223 Rem only. F Class open is dominated by the Big 7's, which push impressive ballistics of their own, some much more impressive to me than even the 6.5x284.

3. The "it's good enough" idea. The Swede government finally gave up their M41B sniper rifles, launching a 139gr 6.5 FMJBT bullet around 2600 fps for 308 Win sniper systems for NATO compliance. This was completed in the 1980s, making the M41/M41B one of the longest serving sniper rifles in active military history (the Russians still take the record for sticking with a system, although Russian sniper ops are more what we would consider DM systems).

4. Availability of quality ammo. Black Hills, Federal, Georgia Arms "Canned Heat" all come to mind when it comes to quality match ammo for 308. Much fewer options when it comes to the 6.5s, especially in bulk. They are out there, but less options.

5. Equipment can decide the difference between equally skilled shooters, but a wind reading master will do just fine on a 308. It is still cheaper to get a basic heavy barrel 308 rifle than any other precision setup to get started training long range.

6. Some of us like to shoot more than we like to win. I know it is crazy but when I go to a match, I'm just trying to beat my last score. Beating other people doesn't tell me anything about myself and my skill progression. We can do this with a 308 just as easily as a 6.5.

8. Some people like the ability to use crappy ammo in a pinch. Milsurp 308 seems to be drying up, so this reason may go away.

And those are the reasons off the top of my head I think the 308 is going to be with us for years to come. Think about the staying power of the 30-06, and we've been using 308 Win for about the same amount of time now as when the 308 was introduced to replace the 06.

Jimro

Page generated in 0.02857 seconds with 8 queries