Thread: Is this normal?
View Single Post
Old March 7, 2013, 08:13 PM   #19
buck460XVR

Quote:
I didn't mean to start a battle here. I have learned quite a bit, and I thank you all. Looks like I need to be more selective in my bullet choice. I'll keep the JSP for the 454 loads. Looking for 300gr XTP mag for the .460's. Seems they may be extinct.

As Mal H said it's not a battle.....and we are all trying to help you obtain safe loads for your .460. One reason I may have gotten a bit testy. Over the years I have seen far too many folks giving suggestions for reloading the .460 without any first hand experience. It is not the easiest handgun cartridge to reload. Your use of the JSPs for reduced recoil loads is perfectly fine......also, any bullet intended for .454 velocities is fine for use in the .460. Only those with thinner jackets intended for .45 Colt velocities are to avoided when loading to .460 pressures and velocities........when loading to .45 Colt velocities in the .460 for reduced recoil loads, they are just fine also. If you are looking to reload reduced recoil loads I suggest IMR4227. It too will leave unburned powder when used in a reduced load, but it is normal. I have had good luck with TrailBoss under the 260 and 300 grain Speer bullets when run @ 95% case capacity. Problem with any of the reduced loads is that they print so much differently than standard .460 loads that one needs to readjust the sights. I've got to the point where I don't bother with reduced recoil loads. One does not need to run the .460 to max in order for it to perform well. My best shooting loads are from just above start loads to about midway up. My X-Frame has tight throats, so I start to get sticky extraction long before I get close to max loads. I still chrony good velocities tho and exceptional accuracy. As I said before, if you are getting sticky extraction you need to back down your loads. The XTP-Mag bullets can generally be found from any online dealer. As a matter of fact if one looks they are about the only .45 caliber bullet available at most places. I prefer the 300s for hunting and the 240s for targets. The Speer 300 gr Deep Curls shoot well for me also. My load charges for the XTP-MAGS and Deep Curls are close to the same......the reason I believe there was not a problem with you using the Sierra bullet in your previous load. If anything, jacketed bullets tend to run a little higher pressure than the Deep Curls, and I tend to run them .5 gr less to get the same velocity. My best luck has been Using H110/W296 and IMR4227. While the IMR4227 does not quite give me the velocities that H110/W296 does, but it gives me excellent accuracy and is less temperature sensitive. It also does not require the use of Magnum Primers, altho they can be used with no adverse effects.

Page generated in 0.02218 seconds with 8 queries