Thread: Is this normal?
View Single Post
Old March 7, 2013, 09:52 AM   #11
buck460XVR

Quote:
The Speer UCSP is the UniCore Soft Point and for all practical purposes is a copper plated cast bullet. That is why the charge weight is different than what you see with the Sierra copper jacketed bullet.
The recipe that Canardman is using is a published load from the Speer Manual. It is a REDUCED RECOIL load using a bullet designed for .45 Colt velocities. Using the same bullet @ legitimate .460 velocities will lead to excessive forcing cone erosion and poor terminal performance. The UniCores are a standard cup and core bullet, not the copper plated bonded bullets like the Deep-Curls and/or Gold Dots.

While I do not feel safe using H110/W296 for reduced loads, it is a published load recipe, so folks need to back off and quit accusing the OP of using bad info. Folks should also be more careful about giving him info when they themselves are mis-informed. For reduced loads in the .460 I prefer IMR4227 as opposed to H110/W296. For legitimate .460 loads the OP must use the appropriate bullet such as the XTP-MAGs(not standard .45 caliber XTPs) or Speer 300 gr Deep Curls that are designed for the pressures and velocities developed in the .460. Use of bullets designed for .45 Colt will lead to jacket separation and excessive forcing cone and top strap flame cutting. Folks telling Canardman to use the same bullet using high pressure loads are giving bad info. This is why I always tell folks to confirm any and all info given on internet forums with something published by the experts. This thread is a good example of why.

While the carbon shown on the OPs cases do indeed show signs of under-pressure, I will tell you that most all of my cases show signs of scorching, nature of the beast, even those with sticky extraction. Sticky extraction in a .460 is a sure sign of over pressure and one needs to back down their load.

Quote:
One other point, Canardman, you didn't indicate which primer you are using. With H110 (W296) it is very important to use a magnum primer.

The .460 uses a Large Rifle Primer and due to it's large case capacity, many manuals do not list the use of magnum primers for the .460 when using H110/W296. Altho I always use magnum primers with it, the manual Canardman used does not list the use of magnum primers with the load. Again, he did follow directions.

Page generated in 0.03504 seconds with 8 queries