View Single Post
Old October 10, 2011, 09:54 PM   #1
NVBigEd

Great Day at The Range

My wife is scared to death of handguns. She has tried, bless her heart, but the fear is just there. I have excellent ear protection for her, I've tried different calibers and platforms but other than .22 LR everything is very frightening for her.
I want her to get more gun confident and she wants to get comfortable enough to consider a CCW someday.

Well, today we had a break though.... I have an old S&W model 10 .38 special. Even that was intimidating for her. But today, I loaded some "mouse fart" .38 special rounds using 3.5 grains of Trail Boss under 158 gr SWC and she absolutely had a blast! She shot the heck out that old .38, both hands, one hand, single action and double. She shot well too.... killed a bunch of soda cans and even hit a few bull's eyes on the targets.

The thing is, if I didn't reload, I don't think one could buy the "breakthrough" ammo. I have no idea what the power factor is, but I'm quite certain that there is nothing commercially available this light. Another interesting thing about this load was how accurate it is. Up to 15 yards (as far as we tried) it shot point of aim with almost no recoil.

For me, I also got to enjoy some unusual rounds. I loaded up some variations of .38 "Elmer Keith .38/44" loads and fired them from my Ruger GP 100 .357. Same cartridge and bullet as my wife's "mouse farts" and I was able to get very near .357 magnum performance with just a change in the powder type and volume. The .38/44 loads were great fun for me to shoot and also very accurate.

Just a great day at the range!

Page generated in 0.02407 seconds with 8 queries