View Single Post
Old September 30, 2009, 11:52 AM   #27
Mello2u

Quote:
look2thehorizon

Good first handgun for HD

My dilemma is that I would like to get a gun that my wife and I could both use in an emergency if necessary. The problem is I'm 6'5" - 240lbs with large hands. My wife is 5'2" - 125lbs. with small hands.

Is there one gun that could work for both of us and still have "stopping power?"

Help a new guy out!?!
You do not mention any experience with handguns. You do not mention any training in defensive use of firearms. Since you did not mention either I will assume you and your wife have no experience or training.

First, you have a great amount to learn to make an informed decision about selecting one handgun that will suit both of you. The great differences in size makes complicates the matter; and makes the smaller person the limiting factor in ergonomic selection. If her hands don't fit the selected gun then it won't work, and anything she can reach you can reach. Taking the NRA Basic Pistol course can introduce you both so some basic pistol training. The NRA Personal Protection in the Home course is more advanced and covers more complex shooting issues; as well as, the law of your state regarding firearms possession, use, storage and self-defense.

Second, a revolver is easier to train with and become competent than a semi-auto pistol. A revolver has less levers and buttons to manipulate and fewer ways to malfunction.

A S&W K-frame size revolver in .357 magnum gives you options, such as the model 19 or the model 66. You can shoot both .38 Spl and .357 mag loads in it. You can select grips which better fit your wife's hands compared to the stock grips.
" Frederic Bastiat

Page generated in 0.02492 seconds with 8 queries